IRCC’s new learning portal for online and blended settlement language training.
The time is now for a much improved and enhanced Moodle-based national learning management system for English and French settlement language training. EduLINC has been serving the LINC Sector for ten years, but it needed to do more.
Avenue, like EduLINC, is a four-skill modern solution to online or blended
language training. Soon, logging into Avenue will also mean logging into Tutela, providing access to hundreds of Made-in-Canada learning resources for LINC. The Avenue learning management system runs on the latest version of Moodle, and includes new activities, such as the Workshop module and improvements to existing activities such as H5P.
Avenue offers more tools to administrators and teachers, including a user account manager giving teachers control over their course enrollments, student accounts and making it easier to move students between classes. Avenue supports modernized task-based learning through an e-Portfolio solution. And the courseware inventory of PBLA-aligned learning resources is growing as developers like New Language Solutions and the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks release new modules.
PROVIDING ONLINE COURSEWARE FOR LEARNERS & TEACHER PREPARATION TO MAKE IT WORK
Why integrate Technology-enhanced Language Learning (TELL) into your class?
- Supports online distance learning with a full suite of synchronous and
- asynchronous learning and teaching tools.
- Multiple modalities (classroom and online) give your teaching more impact: provide learning opportunities in the classroom and again online, and learning is more effective.
- Supports the long tradition of using computers in the classroom and builds better practices in blended learning that benefit learners and their teachers.
- Social media like wikis and blogs provide opportunities for student-to-student communication and collaboration.
- Information technology in the ESL classroom helps prepare your learners for the worlds of work and education in Canada today.
- Improved learning tracking and accountability: you will have access to
- gradebooks and other reports documenting all learning activity in the courseware.
LEARNER COURSEWARE KEY FEATURES
- aligned with LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks
- learner courseware & teacher training has tools and tips on how to support PBLA
- a growing collection of PBLA-aligned courseware modules
- social media like forums, wikis and blogs provide opportunities for student-to-student communication and collaboration
- supports best practices in blended learning when used with the LINC 1-4 and 5-7 Classroom Activities books
- hosted for free by New Language Solutions
- offers anytime, anywhere access to students using standard web browsers and free browser plug-ins
- mobile-friendly for those with tablets or smartphones
- tools for managers to monitor local courses, assign substitute teachers, and access detailed learner activity reports.
- Avenue is fully customizable by teachers entering training STAGE 2 in the teacher training.
Moodle is our LMS of choice because it’s open-source software and license free. And it’s supported by a worldwide community of millions of educators. It has about 50% market share in Europe and Latin America, and 30% in North America. An LMS provides a virtual private learning space that enables online distance learning and complements face to face learning when implemented in blended or hybrid learning.
What does an LMS solution represent for the LT Sector? It’s an opportunity for deeper engagement with learning, and building social engagement into an online classroom. It enables more flexibility in program design and delivery. It supports anywhere anytime learning.
User Account Manager
Avenue offers more tools to administrators and teachers, including a user account manager giving teachers control over their course enrollments, student accounts and making it easier to move students between classes.
Enhancements are on the way
- Important enhancements to the Avenue portal will roll out over the next few months. Getting the Class Register up and running is a priority for our developers. This will allow teachers to update their learners’ account information. It will also give teachers access to students ePortfolios. There will be a link to each students’ ePortfolios on the teacher’s course page.
- Avenue will support modernized task-based learning through an e-Portfolio solution [released on November 20th, 2020] and a growing inventory of PBLA-aligned learning resources.
- Tutela integration with the Avenue learning portal will allow teachers to access Tutela without the need to log in a second time [This change is imminent.]. When it’s fully functional teachers will be able to browse Tutela and choose resources and add them to their storage space on Avenue.
- A custom Moodle mobile application is in development for Avenue users. It will improve access to course content.
To learn more details of the Avenue solution and the New Language Solutions response to COVID-19:
- Watch a 13-minute video Introduction to Avenue
- On, September 11th 2020 Jim Edgar, presented a Zoom webinar on
10 Reasons to Migrate to Avenue from EduLINC